Monday, January 25, 2010

Mailbag Monday: January 2010

Though we have a lot in common, each member of the Tri Mu has a slightly different take on writing, publishing, books, and life in general. On the fourth Monday of the month, we'll take a question submitted by one of you and each give our opinions on the issue.

This month's question: When is your writing most productive?

NL Berger's Response: Well, right now it seems like I'm never productive, but under normal circumstances I'll go with the early night hours. I have a window over my desk and once it gets dark outside, it turns into a mirror. For me, there's nothing better at keeping me concentrating on the keyboard than having to look myself in the eye every time my focus drifts away from it. Of course, I'm not much of a night owl anymore, so unlike some of the other TriMus, my nighttime writing usually only lasts until eight or nine o'clock. I might have to put an actual mirror up on my windowsill once summer gets here and the days start getting too long...

Tori Pryer's Response: I write best when my day job isn't killing and abusing my brain cells. I keep hoping that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that the obsessive working will stop soon, but alas, the time is not yet here. During ordinary times, I write best at night. For some reason, my best stuff comes out after 10 pm. Unfortunately, sleeping is also a necessity so I can't keep writing until 2 am. Sigh.

Sarah Templeton's Response: I write best smack in the middle of the day. Unfortunately, with a day job, those opportunities are few, so I settle for second best: Late at night. I can either have classical music on in the background (something without lyrics) or nothing at all. I can't have background noise--it drowns out whatever my muse is humming at my ear.

Haricot Vert's Response: I'm most productive when I can get a good 30 minutes of time open to write. The time of day doesn't matter so much, although I used to write better at night than during the daylight hours. Sometimes having music on helps and sometimes I need silence; it depends on the character POV as well as the scene.

Kalayna's Response: I'm most productive when I have pressure put on me. yeah . . . I know, that's not a time, but it is still true. Only have one hour to write in? 1k words, easy. Give me a whole day and I get distracted. Creating internal and external pressure is important to my writing process. As far as real times--well, that would me mid-day and mid-night. 10-3 are highly productive times. I don't know why. I've always been that way. Now finding a sleeping and living schedule which gives me the middle of the day and the middle of the night free time to write, that is a trick!


When are you at your most productive? Feel free to add to the discussion in the comments.

Have another question you'd like the Modern Myth Makers to answer? Just ask us in the comments and we'll try to respond in a future month.

No comments: